Friday, October 5, 2012

Signs of Summer

There are a few ways we can tell it is summer around here. 

First of all is of course the heat. The stifling, exhausting, dehydrating heat. I asked Jasmine to help with a job today and she begged for us to do it after dark. It's hard to move in this heat.

And before you ask, I don't know how hot it is exactly. Tom bought a thermometer at a garage sale the other day but it says 90 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't believe it. Then again, perhaps I'm a wuss. LOL
 
Another tell that it is summer is the accumulation of flies. The closer we get to rainy season (and mango season), which is kinda part of our summer but not quite, the more flies there are. When the mangoes are ripe, Lord help us all! The flies are thick!!!

And of course the grass and trees are all dry and brown. The grass hurts the feet to walk on. I often dash out of the house without my shoes and get poked with a needle sharp blade of grass that hurts straight through to the belly. I still run barefoot though. (Mainly because I'm short, my feet dangle when I sit, and my shoes fall off, so when I stand up again I leave them behind and forget where they are. --My mom had the same problem.)

But, one of the big signs we are in the middle of the hottest, driest times of the year is the sudden appearance of ants. They are everywhere, all over the house, searching for water.

The other morning I had a yogurt and banana smoothie for breakfast while I read and journaled for my 31 minutes. At the end of the half hour this is what my cup looked like:



Look at all those ants. It's like gazelles at a watering hole. I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.

Exactly One Year Ago: Joy in the Morning
Exactly Two Years Ago: Holla if You Like Surprises

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis