Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas in Africa

I don't know how many people are actually checking blogs today, but in case you're like me and you steal away for a few minutes to see how your friends are, I'd like to give you the penny tour of our living room and its decorations.


We'll start with our wonderful Christmas card display. We've been collecting cards for the past 10 years and this tree didn't even use up all of them. I love seeing all the pretty designs. Last year we did an ornament shape, but we wanted something different. The tree is so tall that even my six foot son standing on a chair couldn't reach the top. Crazy! 
The star at the top was handmade by us about 4 years ago.


Here is my lovely little manger scene. For years we had a teeny tiny clear plastic one. Nothing else would fit in our travel trailer first, and then in our luggage when we moved to Africa. A couple years after moving to Zambia we found this one at a garage sale. 


Backing up a bit we can see the full display. Stockings hung, Christmas books displayed and even Hippos donning Santa hats.
(next year I should do something about hiding the shelves behind....)


Now, on to the tree. It's about 5.5 ft tall and FAKE. No other kind available in these parts. After having a houseplant one year as our only Christmas decoration, I'm really grateful for this one.


These clay decorations were made by the kids in 1996 and 1997. My lovely friend, Natalie introduced me to making these and we made them for a few years after. With all the moving, not every one has survived but that makes the remaining ones that much more precious.


And, speaking of Natalie, we used to exchange ornaments each year as our gift. (Why'd we stop, Natalie???) This one is one of my favorites.


This ornament is lovely but a funny one. I started making these glow in the dark pony bead angels with the kids in 2000. The main part got done but we didn't get the tulle wings put on because it required a glue gun. That sparkly tulle traveled with us to Africa and kept getting pulled out with the rest of the decorations each year but never made it onto the angels. Finally, about two years ago, I finally attached it to a couple angels by sewing it on.  You might notice that our angels are bald. Supposed to have strawberry embroidery floss for hair. Still haven't gotten to that part. One of these years.....

There are a few other bits and bobs scattered around our living room. I'll have to get to those next year else I run the risk dragging this post on and on and boring all of you. The horror!!

Have a very Merry Christmas, one and all!

P.S. A very Happy Birthday to my wonderful dad! Click here for the tribute I wrote last year.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know how you found me but I can NOT wait to come back and read your blog. Seriously! I'll be back after craziness of Christmas is behind me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that card tree. What a fun way to decorate...I think I may steal that idea next year.

    I see Mooseltoe in that pile of books! My daughter has loved reading that for the last couple of weeks.

    Have a very Merry Christmas in Zambia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am winding down from a crazy busy (but good) day and going through my reader. Merry Christmas to you and yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Christmas to you all from down unda!

    ReplyDelete

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis