Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Paradox

We're gonna take a break from Africa and Orphans for a side trip into Amy's Brain. Hang on!

Last  week one of my friends posted this quote on her Facebook status:

"Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart." - Erma Bombeck

I liked the sound of that. Life is too short too count calories, isn't it?

 But then, later that very day I happened upon Speed on TV. I saw this movie years ago but since I have the memory of a sieve I thought I'd watch again for a few minutes. I don't want to give anything away in case you haven't watched it yet, but in the very beginning of the movie a rescue took place. It involved people being pulled out of a small area. I thought how embarrassing it would be for me if I were in a situation where I had to be rescued but I was so heavy or out of shape that it was impossible. 

 I read an article some time last year about how our health goals should have more to do with getting healthy than being a perfect size. The author challenged everyone to think about whether they'd be able to rescue a child from a burning building or run far enough to get out of dangerous situation.

I think I fall somewhere in the middle of these two. I definitely want to be healthier so I can be around a long time and that I am fit enough to look after myself, but I don't want to obsess over calorie watching and miss out on the fun that can be had in life.

 So, what do you think? What is your take on this paradox?  


Exactly One Year Ago:
Extending the Table (in reading over this again I've realized I promised to share some of my favorite recipes and haven't kept my word. No promises this time but I'll try to do better in this area.)


6 comments:

  1. I don't count calories for this very reason. I'm not quite as strong or healthy as I'd like to be, since I'm not biking any more. But, I hate the idea of letting calories rule my life. My goal is to add more movement into my routine and try to get healthier that way, even if I don't get smaller. I want to be able to run and jump if I need to, but I have no need or desire to be a size 6, or even a 10.

    I think you're doing well- you seem to walk/jog/run most days and that is a good thing. And, you probably walk a good deal, just because you're in Zambia. I know I walked more there than I do now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, it is a paradox. I try to live by the rule of "everything in moderation". There's no way I'm giving up my dessert, but I do want to be healthy and enjoy life at a ripe old age with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good point. I lost 20 lbs. a few years ago by obsessing over calories and denying myself dessert. I've kept the weight off but I've chilled out a lot. I eat cookies and ice cream with my kids and I weigh myself every few days. It's a good balance and one i can live with. But I agree health is better defined as what your body is capable of doing rather than what size it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My health sucks. At 43 I'm probably 20 years older health wise. Blech.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess one of the clinchers that got me was when Tom said, "Mom, if you want to come visit me, you better get in shape, or you'll never make it here."

    I worked on getting vitamins, getting my blood pressure down, and worked on my weight, then visited Dan in Taiwan. I made it... barely...

    After so much pain and wondering if I had fibromialgia, I went on a new diet (not to lose weight, although I was hoping it would cause me to shed some pounds.

    I finally figured out if I just cut out corn, wheat and red meat, it works on the healthy side. It was like night and day!!

    I've lost very little weight, but feel better than I have in a long time.

    Believe me, The "feel better and can do more" outweighs the nice, thin look any day as you get older.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I say that all the time! We would totally not survive and action or horror movie!

    ReplyDelete

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis