Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Life is Like a Rollercoaster

Did I ever mention I'm not a fan of thrill rides? It's true. The very rare times I've ever been to an amusement park and been forced to ride a coaster, I've been so sure of my imminent demise that I confessed all my sins: past, present and future. Not what I think of as fun.

But, life here is exactly like a rollercoaster--a series of ups and downs, twists and turns. I never know what is coming around the bend. 

Today the 'take my breath away' dip is that Sara has once again been diagnosed with pneumonia. Whether the first medical officer missed some when he declared her lungs clear or if she has just succumbed to the virus again is unclear. We also had her tested for HIV and the rapid test (tests for antibodies) showed a positive result. What this means is that Sara's mother was definitely HIV positive. We also did a Dry Blood Test but the results for that will take weeks. We are handling getting the test down to Lusaka ourselves. Otherwise we would have to wait 3 months for results.

For now, Sara is back on injections--4 times a day this time, and also another oral antibiotic. The poor baby is breathing so rapidly and is very miserable. I've been holding her on my chest as much as possible so she feels loved and cared for. 

We're grateful that she is continuing to eat and gain weight. That will surely help her to fight off the infection. I just don't know how much more her poor little body can take. She has been fighting so hard for the past 3 weeks as well as long before we ever took her.

Pray for her to recover completely. Pray for God's will in her little life. Pray for me too, please. I really, really want to have a good result. I won't say that I couldn't stand it if she died because if that were the case God wouldn't ask it of me.....but I really would struggle if she lost hers.

Life is like a rollercoaster and I'm hoping desperately for an upward climb. For now, I'm going to have to buckle in tight and trust the architect of the ride.

Exactly One Year Ago: An Adventure of the Highest Order

P.S. We'll be celebrating our Thanksgiving on Saturday again this year. We just have so much going on and still have to buy the groceries. We've invited two other couples over so that will be nice.

6 comments:

  1. Poor, sweet thing. I'm praying for her strength. Thank God you're there to love and care for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, please remember that you are not alone and that people all over the world are praying for you, your family, Summer, and your team. I'm thankful that yall are there to comfort Sara during this difficult time, no matter what God allows to happen to her. I'm praying that she'll get some rest soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying for her recovery. I am so glad that she has your loving home to recuperate in.

    Hugs & love,
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holding her on your chest is probably the best thing that you could do for her. When babies are born premature, they have the mother hold the baby next to her sking and something about the warmth, and steady breathing helps the child to make it.
    I'm praying for Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I just clicked over via SITS. I have found a kindred spirit here! lol I love your header photo -- yes, it does need tweaking. ;^) Email me at whatbeautifulfeetyouhaveATgmailDOTcom and I'll help you with it.

    Meanwhile, I'll be praying for Baby Sara. Just imagining the pain she is suffering makes my heart ache for her -- and for you, too! It's a tough thing, but we have to remember that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. We do hold on so tightly to life, though, don't we?

    Have a blest Thanksgiving celebration on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, I'm so sorry about baby Sara. You did the best you could and I'm glad she had you in her short life.

    Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete

Come hang out with me. Your comments brighten my day and make me feel less lonely in my corner of the globe. .Wanna know more about my crazy life? Give a shout!

You can also email me at amymorrowinafricaATgmailDOTcom

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis