We never know when a routine shopping trip is going to turn into an adventure or when a bus trip already full of adventure will become even more exciting. For this reason I carry with me at all times my not so little bag of tricks.
I never go anywhere without a book. Tom mocks me but it saves me from losing my mind when we are delayed over and over again here. We have to wait in an office for someone--no problem, pull out the book. A bus ride takes 19 hours instead of 12--extra reading time!
I read at least two books a week and so usually have two books in my bag when I go to town and if I'm traveling it's not uncommon for me to take 5 books! A Kindle would be wonderful for this reason.
Carrie at Reading to Know is holding a challenge for the month of January where she is encouraging people to get to know L.M Montgomery's work or to revisit some of her books. I love the Anne of Green Gables books and decided to read this one above, Emily of New Moon. I'm enjoying it so far.
Another huge form of entertainment is listening to music. I'm so thankful for my little Nano.
The black sphere thing is a speaker. It produces amazing sound and allows us to listen to music in the car.
We also take it into the kitchen or use it for dinner music. It's wonderful!
Some of my favorite things:
- My pink snakeskin planner. I've had it for years and use it all the time.
- My head lamp. This I lose or break frequently so this is a recent model. It really comes in handy.
- My gold business card holder. This makes me feel like a professional (missionary!).
- The red notebook takes down my thoughts from day to day. If you could see inside you would see my notes taken during the Policeman's Ball.
- That blue, stripey thing is the case for my oversized sunglasses. So important!
My little trusty cell phone.
See that green thing at the back? Those are little cards containing credits for our cell phone.
Nearly all cell phones are pay as you go so we have to buy little scratch cards and type a pin code into our phone in order to add time. Sometimes we can get the big ones--$10-20 worth but these little ones are just over $2 each. We go through about $10 a week each so that is a lot of scratching and entering.
Big time essentials:
- Eye drops--things are so dusty.
- Allergy pills (see above)--risky though because they're kinda illegal here.
- Mints (front right)
- Pain pills
- Mosquito repellent
- Sunscreen (the sun is really intense here)
- Tissue (remember my hectic roadside stop?)
- Splenda (even here!)
- lip gloss with sunscreen
And lastly: hair scrunchie and bandana. With no airconditioning our windows are always open and a hair drifting across your face over and over again for hours can make you slowly lose your mind.